People Analytics and Retention 101
1. Introduction and welcome 0:00
2. What is retention? 0:22
3. What are the different types of turnover? 2:19
4. Why should I track retention rates? 4:30
5. ANALYTICS IN ACTION: Pitney Bowes 5:04
6. What factors affect retention rates? 7:29
7. What factors affect voluntary turnover? 10:04
8. What metrics are used to track retention? 10:56
9. What are the financial implications of low retention? 13:49
10. ANALYTICS IN ACTION: PTC 17:22
11. Conclusion 19:16
About this course
Employee retention is a major C-suite strategic priority for almost every company. Learn how people analytics helps you understand who is leaving, why they are leaving, and who is most likely to leave next. You will see real world examples and demonstrations.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone new to PA, or for anyone who wants to refresh or expand their existing knowledge.
Take this course if you want to better understand what retention and turnover are, what metrics to use for tracking them, how they affect the business financially, the common drivers of both, and how PA helps to reduce turnover and increase retention.
What will you learn?
- Why it is so important to achieve high retention rates across the organization.
- The nuances between the various types of turnover.
- How to uncover the drivers of retention and leverage them to retain your most critical talent.
Course resource materials
- Informational slides from the video. Download as: PDF or PPTX
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Started With People Analytics (PDF)
- How To Reduce Employee Turnover with Workforce Analytics (article)
- How Sunstate Equipment Used Insights To Reduce Turnover by 50%
- The Burnout Epidemic Report (PDF)
- 6 Signs Your Employee Is About To Resign (PDF)
- Ask Visier: How is the volume of employee exits changing? (article)
- What Comes After the Great Resignation (article)
- The Great Resignation's Next Act: Manager Turnover (article)
- 10 HR Metrics Every Business Should Track (PDF)
- Pitney Bowes customer story
- PTC customer story
- HR Glossary
Meet the instructor
Nolan Cockburn, Senior Solution Consultant
Nolan brings his extensive business intelligence consultant experience and years of helping new users with people analytics to this course.
Nolan partners with enterprise clients across a wide array of industries to assess their business requirements, define key analytics objectives, and design and configure Visier People® to solve their people and business challenges.
He firmly believes: "If you don’t know the ‘why’ behind the ‘what’, it makes it very difficult to solve a retention problem, implement any solutions, or predict what will happen next."
"With Visier, we’ve reduced turnover and improved hiring quality. But the biggest impact is that it gives our HR team license to drive strategic conversations with business leaders."
Mike Salva, People Analytics & Reporting Manager, Pitney Bowes
Keep learning! Try these courses next
Intro to People Analytics
Start with the basics: What is people analytics? What can it do? What is the impact PA can have on business outcomes? Plus, how you can get started quickly.
People Analytics and Headcount 101
An accurate headcount measure can be difficult to establish—here's how to get it right in order to empower strategic decision-making about workforce planning
Visier’s purpose is to reveal the human truth about your workforce and contribute to a better future. Visier was founded to focus on what matters to business people: answering the right questions, even the ones a person might not know to ask. Questions that shape business strategy provide the impetus for taking action, and drive better business results. Visier delivers fast, clear people insight by using all the available people data—regardless of source. With best-practice expertise built in, decision makers can confidently take action. Thanks to our amazing customers, Visier is the market leader in Workforce Analytics with more than 15,000 customers in 75 countries around the world.
For more information, visit visier.com